_____________________________

7.13.2011

Volunteer Work at The Salvation Army

      Today I was introduced to the way the shop operates, and learnt how products are catergorised.
I spent the day reorganising the vintage rack and fashion section of the store. My best finds to put into the vintage area were two 1950s style skirts (full, fitted above the hip) one in royal blue, the other monochrome polka dots and a retro jumper, similar to that worn by Nicola Roberts in her 'Beat of my Drum' video. 

For the fashion area, I came across a pair of FCUK Black Skinny Jeans priced at £1.99, which I had both moved and repriced.
I then colour blocked the rest of the store and sorted the fashion section into categories; evening/party wear, casual wear (checked shirts and graphic tees), denim (including those jeans), formal wear, and brights (current trend). I spotted some long, pleated skirts similar to those being sold in Topshop and Primark, and I hope to find a few more of these in order to give them their own section on the fashion rail. Despite all of these finds however, my favourite of the day was a retro Polaroid camera, which with my staff and student discount, cost me £3.
If you live in the area, feel free to come and join me! Just pop into the store (located on Clayton Street, which leads to the O2 Academy Newcastle) and they'll give you a sheet to fill in. They pay for your travel and you can work any hours that you want but pick Wednesday and Thursday because that's when I'll be in.