_____________________________

8.23.2011

Daphne Guinness on her First Meeting with Alexander McQueen
The heiress Daphne Guinness, despite eventually regarding Lee Alexander McQueen as one of her closest friends, has said she never originally wished to meet him! Guinness is a notoriously avid follower of Alexander McQueen and was seen in his Armadillo shoes before anyone else- including Lady Gaga. It was, however, her late friend and worldwide style icon Isabella Blow that insisted she must meet the designer himself.
Daphne told W, "I admired him and didn't want to meet him because I am quite shy, but Isabella said I must." She then went on to explain that she did not want to meet him as a fan, or 'groupie' as she deemed it. She said, "It had to happen organically. You don't have to know someone to love their work."
It ended up being McQueen himself that instated their friendship; "One day, he saw me walking across the street in his kimono and he ran up to me and said, 'I'm the person you don't want to meet!' We went to a pub and hit it off." The pair were close friends for a number of years before McQueen tragically took his own life in 2010.